Saturday, September 14, 2024

Day 8: It was a good day

 

    On the eighth day of Panama my mentors gave to me…an all day boat trip on the sea. Today was an eventful and slightly exhausting day packed with snorkeling pleasures and false strawberry ice-cream treasures.

    The classes headed out to Isla Zapatillas (Parque Bastimentos) roughly around 8:30 am. On half hour boat ride over, I sat and watched as the frigate birds sailed above. Trying my best to recall all the information I could from my marine birds and mammals class and as I sat in my bird and mammal mode I was greeted by- A FLUKE! Some bottlenose dolphins had briefly interrupted our trip to the island.

(A city with Elkhorn skyscrapers)

I must disclaim that every snorkel today had a surprise and a treat. 

During our first two snorkels, we were treated to some lovely Elkhorn coral (Acropora palmata) as well as a plethora of other corals (which would cost me another 4 years to truly learn).  As I watch the fish dart in and our of their hiding holes, I can’t help but to feel like a giant watching over a city. A city filled with bustling workers (damsel, tangs, and parrotfish), and- of course- urchins. While I floated over these colorful reefs, I couldn't help but to find myself focusing on the plankton. I watched as countless ctenophores drifted by me paddles shimmering in the sunlight. Tiny siphonophores jetted by in colonies, and chaetognaths twitched and thrashed as they attacked their tiny prey. 

(Nurse Shark- not the 10-foot one)

Lunch was had in true marine biologist fashion. A sandwich on the beach: soaking wet and sunburnt (and I wouldn’t want it any other way). We all shared loud cheer after finding ripe pineapple packed in the strawberry ice cream tub. After lunch we played like young children in the shallow water of the white sand beach. The clear blue green water reminiscent of a tropical flavored Jell-O.  We played sports with sticks and coconuts, roughhoused with one another, and begged and whined for more time when told we had 10 minutes left to play. Alas, we gathered our goods and headed out to the last two sites. 

(Flamingo Tongue Cowrie)

Tired, fed, and somehow MORE sunburnt than before, we hopped into our last two sites. Eels, 10-foot sharks, green turtles, and jellyfish fields had become our classroom once more. And while I wish I could give you the detailed in words- these photos will have to be worth the couple thousand. I don’t believe the most imaginative artists on earth could create the art that is the reefs I have witnessed. In the words of Maya Watts, “It was a good day". 

Over and Out. Randi 

No comments:

Post a Comment